Mount St. Mary’s Overpowers Marist on Senior Day

On a beautiful Saturday afternoon, Marist’s senior day was spoiled, as Mount St. Mary’s won by a dominant score of 20-7 at Tenney Stadium.

Winners of two straight one goal contests, Marist attempted to extend their winning streak to three games, while The Mount looked to end their two-game losing streak.

Before the game, Marist held a ceremony for their seniors. Senior midfielder Shea Thomson, defenders Jenna Bergin and Ashley Potter, and attackers Olivia Arntsen, Kelly Trotta, and Kerri Gutenberger were accompanied by their families as they were each honored at mid field.

“This senior class is definitely a special class… they’ve been responsible for a lot of the success of our team,” said head coach Jessica Wilkinson.

Mount St. Mary’s offense came out hot, netting five goals in the game’s opening quarter. They were led by graduate student attacker Erin Anderson, who contributed to all five goals, assisting on four and scoring one.

Marist was able to score three goals of their own, two from Gutenberger and one from junior midfielder Delaney Hayes. Gutenberger scored the first goal of the contest, coming after a big ground ball pickup from sophomore midfielder Jamie McPherson. 

Trotta had a chance to cut the deficit to one before the end of the quarter, but was stopped by a great save by Mount St. Mary’s senior goalkeeper Madison Bradley. Bradley ended the quarter with three saves, helping quiet the Red Fox offense, and preserve the Mountaineers lead.

The Mount dominated the second quarter, scoring seven goals. Three came from senior midfielder Dani Donoghue, two from graduate student attacker Julianna Sanchez, while Anderson and graduate student attacker Abby Osmeyer each contributed one. Despite the high scoring quarter, junior goalkeeper Miranda Lopes was impressive in net. While she gave up seven goals, she saved seven shots. 

“At the end of the day we didn’t do ourselves any favors by allowing them to have the ball and attack as much as they did,” Wilkinson said.

Mount St. Mary’s held control of the ball for the majority of the quarter, preventing Marist from getting on the board. The Red Foxes best chance came on an Arntsen free position, but the shot clanged off the post. Marist headed into halftime trailing 12-3, searching for any momentum they could find.

The Mountaineers picked up right where they left off, putting up a six goal quarter, all scored by Sanchez and Osmeyer. Marist finally got back on the board, thanks to a goal from freshman midfielder Caitlin McNaboe on an assist from Trotta early in the quarter. Trotta would get a goal of her own before the quarter came to a close, coming off a nice pass by Gutenberger. 

The fourth quarter was a low scoring affair in relation to the rest of the contest. Mount St. Mary’s punched in two goals, including one from freshman attacker Kelly Bragg, the first of her career. On the other end of the field, Trotta netted two goals of her own, completing a hat trick on her senior day. 

Aside from Bragg’s lone goal, the rest of The Mount’s goals all came from their top four scorers on the season. Sanchez led the way with seven, followed by Osmeyer at five, Donoghue with four, and Anderson had three.

For Marist, Trotta scored three goals, Gutenberger had two, and McNaboe and Hayes each contributed one. Lopes recorded eight saves, before being pulled for freshman goalkeeper Morgan Carroll midway through the third quarter.

“If we don’t want this result, then we’re going to have to approach it in a different way next time,” Wilkinson said.

Marist will attempt to do so as they travel to Canisius next Wednesday for their final road game at 4 p.m. They wrap up their regular season a week from today, at home against Iona. 

Edited by Andrew Hard

Photo from Jonathan Kinane

Leave a Reply