Despite High Scoring, Men’s Lacrosse Falls to Bucknell Tuesday

On a cold spring Tuesday afternoon, Marist Men’s Lacrosse faced off against the Bucknell Bison at Tenney Stadium. The Red Foxes were coming off of a loss to Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) foe Detroit Mercy. The Bison were also coming of a loss to Army. Ultimately, Marist fell once again, this time losing by a score of 10-7.

The game began with a faceoff win for Marist, but Bucknell answered with the first goal for senior Tom Smith. For the first five minutes of the first quarter, Bucknell dominated the possession time. Bucknell doubled their lead with a goal from freshman Alston Tarry. The Bison continued to push the pace on offense and bother the Red Foxes with their lethal ride. Marist could not get anything going on offense in the first quarter.

To start the second quarter, Marist kicked off with their first goal of the game from freshman Hunter Embury to bring the game to a one goal deficit. The back and forth play continued for both sides. Marist tied the game with a goal from James Tierney to tie the game at 2-2. Bucknell responded right back with a goal from senior Ryan Durkin. Despite this, the Red Foxes maintained their aggressiveness and energy. Later in the second quarter, sophomore Jake Wienman scored to tie game. However, Bucknell continued their hot streak and answered back to take a 4-3 lead with a goal from Will Yorke. 

At the three minute mark of the second quarter the Red Foxes found a way to goal thanks to freshman Jojo Perrico off a Bucknell turnover. The Red Fox team chemistry tied the game, 4-4. At the end of the second quarter Bucknell answered with another goal from senior Tom Smith take a 5-4 lead going into halftime

To start the second half the Red Foxes ripped off two quicks goals to take the lead. One was scored by Wienman once again, and the other goal was scored by junior Michael Smith. The two defense continued to stifle the other opposing offense. However Bucknell answered to tie the game through senior Christian Klipstien. Bucknell then took advantage of a Marist penalty and capitalized with a man up goal from Alston Tarry to take the the lead. Later in the third quarter Bucknell pushed the pace with a goal from Tommy Sopko to take an 8-6 advantage.

In the fourth quarter Bucknell continued to dominate in all facets of the game, putting the Red Foxes in tough situations. Bucknell continued to mount their lead as Alston Tarry scored to make it a three goal game. Bucknell added on with a goal Ryan Durkin. Later in the fourth quarter Jojo Perrico netted another for himself, but it wasn’t enough for Marist to get the win.

After a game full of exciting moments for the Red Foxes, but also costly mistakes, Coach Wilkinson emphasized there are no moral victories for his team.

‘’We are really proud of the guys, we challenged them with an incredibly difficult opponent,” Wilkinson said. “We have high standards here and there are no moral victories and we have to keeping getting better.”

Marist will take on MAAC foe Siena on Saturday at 7 p.m.

Edited by Dan Statile

Leave a Reply